Recently I was a bit down in the dumps and I attempted a bunch of external actions to get out of it: walks, calling friends, blogging. Nothing was working.
While they subsisted the negative feeling for a millisecond, it eventually was just a temporary band-aid. I knew deep down what was motivated this pain: negative self-talk and feelings such as guilt, fear, and regret. Does anyone resonate with that feeling of not having self-love? Living in a negative internal dialogue cycle?
I think I need to re-frame how I talk to myself long-term. While I can’t prevent bad moments from happening, I do have control of our thoughts and reactions to them.
I don’t want to suddenly get all woo-hoo or gimmicky on everyone, but the closest thing I can find to what I’m thinking is The Law of Attraction.
What is the Law of Attraction exactly? “The belief that by focusing on positive or negative thoughts people can bring positive or negative experiences into their life”
While I just scratched the surface on my research of the Law of Attraction, here are some quick things that stood out to me:
- My Thoughts Drive My Reality
- I Can Take the Power Back: I don’t have to wallow and play victim to a narrative in my head
- It’s All Perspective: If I constantly say “I’m gross” the universe will grant my wish and I’ll see myself as unattractive. Switching to “I am beautiful” will change my perspective
- Say Things I Want: I am happy, I am healthy, I am wealthy, I am beautiful
Say it even if I don’t believe it 100%
- Fulfillment: Turn inwards for fulfillment instead of seeking it outside myself
- Teaching Moments: Instead of looking for reasons of why something is happening, look for the lesson
- Challenges or Opportunities? Rethink the “challenges” in your life. Could they really be opportunities?
- Don’t be Attached to Expectations
- Act With Kindness and Love Toward Yourself and Others