Around Valentine’s Day, it’s so easy to fall into the trap of worrying about what we have & don’t have: love externally, our relationship status, extravagant plans & the Insta pic to prove it. Whether you’re a traditional V-Day fan or not, many of us forget the actual meaning of this day: LOVE, APPRECIATION, AND GRATITUDE!
I’ve been both in a relationship and single on Valentine’s Day, and either way I make sure to embrace it and celebrate! I love today because I believe love holds power.
Treat yourself. Treat others. Give love. Be love. Choose love. It makes a difference.
There is an unconscious security in being loved without condition, allowing the deepest parts of us to come to the surface naturally around a handful of people. Use this day to truly recognize those who love your darkness just as much as your light. Try to do something a little out of the ordinary this week to celebrate them:
- Send a hand-written card
- Text a fun GIF that describes them
- Text them letting them know how much you appreciate them
- Schedule a coffee date within the next few weeks (and treat them!)
- Send them a gift card for Uber, their favorite restaurant, nail salon, Netflix, etc.
And don’t forget to give some love to YOURSELF! I believe self-love is the most powerful element of transformation. It’s the guide for finding true union within, let’s you truthfully accept love, and gives you more time to be a light for those external loved ones.
Celebrate yourself today through deep appreciation of your journey, story, past, present and future. Look in the mirror; tell that person looking back “I LOVE YOU. The person you’ve been, are, and becoming. I support you.”
Caveat: Self-Love doesn’t always equal food, alcohol, and being non-productive. Really look inwards and ask yourself “what will make me feel rejuvenated right now?” Whatever it is, find time for it and don’t judge what it is and whether it’s “right” or “wrong”.
- Read a Book
- Go on a walk
- Buy yourself fresh flowers
- Put on a facial mask
- Listen to a Podcast on your favorite topic
- Review your calendar for the upcoming week
- Cook or order your favorite meal
- Watch re-runs of your favorite TV Show
- Go on an adventure
- Mini dance party
- Watch a funny YouTube Video
- Adult Coloring Book
- Light a candle
- Enjoy a glass of wine, cocktail, or favorite non-alcoholic drink
- Splurge: Manicure, Massage, Blow Dry, Haircut, Soul Cycle Class
Celebrations of love should not be centered on Valentine’s Day only. Let’s do it all day, every day, in any way possible! As cheesy as it is, if you fill your heart with love, it will radiate to fill your life, and the world.